The end of Lajkbuk (previously Likebook) platform
In the early days of 2013 a friend of mine Dean Virant had an idea of developing a state-of-the-art platform for automatic organization of prize-games on Facebook. He invited me to be the technical lead and developer, while he was about marketing and sales. First, we were working on the Likebook app and later discovered that it is against the Facebook rules to name the platform like that. So, we bought another domain name, SSL certificate, … for the new name – “Lajkbuk” (i.e., slovene pronounciation of the word likebook in english). We also had many ideas, many initial design, but then we chose the most important features and selected the most user-centered design. While I was developing the application, Dean was reaching to our possible customers, which were at first slovene companies.
So, Lajkbuk is the platform that enables an organization to seamlessly organize a prize-game on Facebook. Next to the features of liking it also supports sharing counters and commenting by which consumers can improve their rank to get the reward. After the end of the game, we offered the organization to conduct some research about the users that participated in the games using the data with their consent. We had quite some successes in Slovenia and we have conducted a handful of successful games. Just as we wanted to broaden our support to other countries, multiple languages and automate the buying process, the Facebook anounced the prohibiton of organizing the games in such a way. So sadly, this is how the story with the Lajkbuk ends.
But the most important: We had an idea, we buit a solution, we sold some games and made some people happy and obviously the time for new ideas has come …
Some technical details about the platform:
The whole source code (public part) is available on GitHub repository https://github.com/szitnik/Lajkbuk. The platform is developed as a JavaEE application using Spring Framework, Spring Social, Spring Data, Hibernate and other technologies. With a server certificate it ran on Tomcat 7.0, which was deployed in the DigitalOcean cloud using a domain name lajkbuk.si. The plaftorm was alive and fully functional from May 2013 to August 2014.
The main features are:
- Facebook application: fully Facebook-connected with automatic login/registration, Facebook Tab Page integration, Sharing and Like logging, comment retrieval.
- Admin pages: creating prize-games, entering customer data, consumer Facebook data retrieval.
- Personal pages: my games and coupons to claim a reward.
- Reports: according to our rules, a game can be ended prematurely for multiple reasons (organization does not follow rules, longer periods without activities).
- Three possible features: COUPON, SHARE, COMMENT – used for winner selection and prize retrieval depending on our customer wishes.
- And more …
Feel free to use the code!